Historic city in Alabama is seeking to fulfill the position of Building Inspector. The ideal candidate will possess adequate knowledge of building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and zoning codes and laws to enforce compliance standards and will display exceptional customer service and communication skills.
The Building Inspector will perform inspections at various stages of construction in order to verify that the work under an issued building permit is done according to the approved plans and specifications. The applicant must possess the ability to enforce and interpret regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially as well as the ability to understand, interpret and suggest modifications to technical documents, the ability to make on-site inspections, and make judgements concerning compliance.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Works in conjunction with the Administrative staff and Senior Inspectors to develop specific code interpretations for the consistency of application.
- Prepares current reports and records from Inspections and other agencies regarding code compliance as required.
- Prepares reports and violation notices to be used in fieldwork or legal hearings, regarding all issues related to code compliance.
- Maintains correspondence and other contacts with persons responsible for general contracting.
- Assists in the review and coordination of construction documents with department Administrative staff.
- Participates in and reviews the adaptation of new codes and ordinances as they apply to the building field.
- Assists in issuing permits to build.
- Inspects work in new and existing structures for safety compliance. Reports on code compliance, variations and violations, advising contractors and property owners on the needed corrections.
- May respond to calls from other City Departments such as Police and Fire to investigate safety concerns.
- May be required to respond in the case of an emergency or disaster.
- Performs related work as required.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE:
Completion of a High School diploma or GED and apprenticeship in the building trades; and three (3) years of experience in general construction work, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Attractive health, wellness and retirement benefits
- Generous vacation, sick leave, and paid holiday schedule
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations and resume to Danielle Tate via email to email@example.com with “Building Inspector” in the subject line.
Download and Share: BUILDING INSPECTOR AD