Magistrate – Municipal Court
The City of Tuskegee, Alabama is in search of a Magistrate in its Municipal Court.
Under direction of the Municipal Court Administrator, receives incoming calls and visitors to Tuskegee Municipal Court; provides accurate information, makes appropriate referrals. Assists customers on Court days; performs a variety of secretarial services; maintains files, and retrieves information as requested.
Constructs complaints and establishes probable cause; prepares necessary paperwork, reports, and correspondence. Prepares and records cases, maintains files, and retrieves information. Issues warrants; performs data entry, and follows established procedures for preparing Court docket. Performs procedures for suspending driver’s licenses, failure to appear, and failure to pay cases; administers final forfeiture proceedings. Oversees filing of appeals; maintains records of appeals and tracks appeal cases. Prepares and records cases, maintains files, and retrieves information. Receives pleas, takes depositions, receives and prepares reconciliation of monies. Obtain and maintain certification, and performs other related duties as required.
Credentials & Experience:
- Must be at least 21-years of age
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing and managing files/ records
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Substantial knowledge of records management, including types of filing systems, steps involved in filing, indexing, control of documents in storage, retrieval and transfer of documents
- Reading skills to comprehend policies, procedures, manuals and other complex material
- Ability to follow written and oral directives
- If considered for hire applicant must also pass a background check and drug/alcohol screening
Must be willing to obtain required certifications, as needed. Some travel will be required.
All qualified candidates should submit a City of Tuskegee application to the HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT, 101 Fonville Street, Tuskegee, Alabama 36083 or apply online at www.tuskegeealabama.gov
Download position description: Magistrate – Municipal Court