ALABAMA POSSIBLE seeks to hire a DEVELOPMENT MANAGER who is deeply passionate about our mission and has the skills and experience to grow our donor family.
Alabama Possible is a statewide nonprofit organization that works to remove barriers to prosperity through advocacy, education, and collaboration.
Alabama Possible builds educational equity through the following program areas:
Research: We annually publish the Poverty Data Sheet, a comprehensive graphic resource that highlights statewide poverty rates and data related to educational attainment, employment, and food security.
Engaged Learning: We promote engaged learning that combines classroom instruction with thoughtful community and civic engagement. We support relationship- building among our higher education members through statewide events including our annual Hungry for Justice and Lifetime of Learning conferences.
Poverty Simulations: We facilitate Poverty Simulations, which increase participants’ understanding of the hardships and emotional toll experienced by low-income families. Through role-playing, participants must try to provide food, clothing, shelter and other basic needs for themselves and their “families”.
College Access and Success: Our college access and success programs include the Blueprints College Success Initiative and Cash for College. Both programs promote and build educational equity for low-income, minority, and first-generation college-going students across the state of Alabama. Through the Blueprints College Success Initiative, we team students with near-peer mentors who equip them to make structured decisions about their postsecondary options and support them as they navigate the college-going process. Through Cash for College, we work to increase the number of students completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The Development Manager will help execute a comprehensive fundraising strategy to expand philanthropic support that includes annual giving, corporate sponsorship, foundation and government grants, major gifts, stewardship programs, and special events.
The Development Manager will work closely with the board of directors, executive director, operations director, and program team to achieve shared development goals. S/he will report to the operations director and be directly responsible for managing the systems and structures that support our development efforts.
Highly qualified candidates will:
- Believe authentically in Alabama Possible’s work to break down barriers to prosperity and understand the vital role building champions for our work plays in realizing our vision
- Work proactively and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Operate from a mindset of learning, listening, and achieving goals
- Manage eTapestry database to maintain donor information, track progress to goal, and generate reports and queries
- Maintain an annual calendar of deadlines for grant proposals and reports
- Track and analyze timelines and benchmarks to determine donor engagement towards meeting overall revenue goals
- Support the full success of our fundraising dinner including managing the master calendar, developing and managing the budget, communicating with vendors, and day-of execution
- Plan and execute multiple development campaigns each year
- Partner with Alabama Possible staff across programs to engage donors in the work
- Achieve annual fundraising and revenue goals; expand Alabama Possible’s base of support; maintain and strengthen existing relationships with effective moves management
- Facilitate regular communication with donors, foundations, corporate partners
- Work in collaboration with the executive director and communications manager to develop strategies for marketing and public relations efforts; ensure effective execution
- Generate ideas to uniquely cultivate, show appreciation, and steward donors and other supporters
Skills and Qualifications
- Detail-oriented with a love of creating and using organization and systems
- Exceptional writing and communication skills; ability to learn Alabama Possible’s voice
- Friend of technology who is proficient in donor management software such as eTapestry or Raiser’s Edge and with Microsoft Office
- Experience executing highly detailed events such as fundraising dinners
- Patient, attentive, and tenacious in communications with Alabama Possible’s partners
- Able to handle surprises with aplomb
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years’ fundraising or development experience
- Valid driver’s license, updated insurance and regular access to a car
- Complete and pass all security clearances, including criminal background and credit checks
- Based on qualifications, experience, and ongoing superior performance
- Health and dental insurance provided by the organization; matching retirement contributions and vision coverage also available
- Vacation, sick time, and generous paid holiday schedule
To apply, submit your cover letter, salary expectations, and resume to Melva Tate via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” in the subject line. To ensure your resume is considered, PLEASE follow the submission process. And PLEASE – no direct emails or phone calls to Alabama Possible staff. They are focused on the mission – to remove barriers to prosperity through advocacy, education, and collaboration!!! Thank you.